ZeroTurnaround Expands CompSci Course Offering on “Java Fundamentals” to Tallinn University of Technology
The Tallinn University of Technology contains not only Java geeks, but also a parking lot made of water!
In mid-2012, ZeroTurnaround established a partnership in Estonia to offer a course called “Java Fundamentals” at Tartu University. With the current semester coming to a close, we’ve decided to take this a step further, expand and do the course at the Tallinn University of Technology. Based on the success and popularity of our Tartu course, it makes sense to expand this to Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, as well.
The course is called ITI8905 (check http://ois.ttu.ee or http://cs.ttu.ee/courses/iti89
“I didn’t have enough experience with J2EE and accompanying technology stack, but I’ve worked a lot with SE. Shortly after starting the Java Fundamentals course, I came to realize there’s all kinds of magic behind classes that I’ve been using daily, and this magic can be hacked! ZT guys proved to me that anyone can do that.” -Gleb, Java Fundamentals student
Java Fundamentals is not a course you take to learn Java. This is a course you take if you think you know it already. For the past 5 years we’ve been developing a tool called JRebel. To do that we needed to hack at the lowest level of the JVM. Every day, our engineers tackle some of the hardest issues on the Java platform. ClassLoaders, Java Memory Model, low-level IO, concurrency — these are all topics that we discuss daily over lunch. At one point we decided to share the knowledge accumulated over five years of hacking at the Java core.
“Really cool and interesting homework (with some exceptions, homework 6 and 7), much better than most of the programming classes I have taken at university. They are also awesome lectors, they really know what they are talking about.” -Kaur Mätas, Java Fundamentals student
Meet the Java Fundamentals all-star lector team:
- Jevgeni Kabanov –Founder & CEO, international speaker, member of the Java EE 7 expert group
- Toomas Römer –Founder & Director of Engineering, international speaker, male model
- Anton Arhipov –JRebel product lead, international speaker, founder of DevClub.eu
- Pavel Grigorenko –PhD, LiveRebel Research Engineer, research includes model-based software development, automatic synthesis of Java programs
- Rein Raudjärv –Employee #1, LiveRebel Senior Engineer
- Lauri Tulmin –Employee #2, JRebel Senior Engineer, Resident Guru
- Erkki Lindpere –JRebel Senior Engineer, Resident Scala Fanboy, Wannabe Language Designer
- Arnel Pällo – JRebel Remoting Tech Lead, known as the student who turned tipikas.ee into the most popular student portal in Estonia
Any questions? Want to take the course? Find class files inside kittens? Shoot us a comment!