JRebel Plugin Configuration Tab is missing

ZeroTurnaround Homepage Forums JRebel Support JRebel Plugin Configuration Tab is missing

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Colton Sablinsky 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

polyesterday

Hi,

with JRebel 7.0.4 the Plugin Configuration Tab (Eclipse) was removed. The changelog lists that change as an “improvement”. Why was this tab removed? I don’t see there any improvement.
    How are JRebel Plugins configured now? Have i dig into a hidden configuration file?

Greetings,
    Daniel

Colton Sablinsky

Hi Daniel,

By default JRebel automatically enables/disables whatever plugins are relevant for your environment. The only reason to manually disable a plugin is when the user is encountering a bug related to the plugin and it should only be disabled as a temporary work around while a fix is being worked on.

More often then not we were running into issues where users were disabling plugins when they should not be. This could break reloading or potentially cause errors with JRebel.

Is there a reason that you need to enable/disable JRebel plugins regularly?

Colton

polyesterday

Hi Colton,

no, not really, but we used the configuration tab to add and activate our custom JRebel Plugin. The underlying question is: How to add custom JRebel Plugins that are not part of the JRebel Installation Package?

Inside the jrebel.properties File rebel.plugins is configured:

rebel.plugins=/path/to/our/plugin.jar
    rebel.ourplugin_plugin=true

If i change true to false i would expect a log message during application startup that reads like:

The following plugins are disabled at the moment:
    * our plugin plugin (rebel.ourplugin_plugin)

But there is no log message like this. Any ideas?

Daniel

Colton Sablinsky

Hi Daniel,

So I had a chance to quickly test this out today to make sure everything is still working as expected with the custom plugin configuration. I downloaded our sample plugin from here.

Inside my jrebel.properties I have added the following two lines:

rebel.plugins=C\:\\Users\\Colton.ZT-Colton-LT01\\Downloads\\jr-plugin-template\\jr-plugin-template\\target\\jr-plugin-template-4.6.2.jar
    rebel.jr-plugin-template=false

When I start my Tomcat server I am now seeing the following in the JRebel banner on startup:

2017-04-19 10:06:46 JRebel:  The following plugins are disabled at the moment:
    2017-04-19 10:06:46 JRebel:  * JRebel Plugin Template (rebel.jr-plugin-template)

Is it possible that you have a typo in your properties file that is causing the plugin to not correctly be added?

Colton

polyesterday

Hi Colton,

thx for testing! That put me in the right direction :). The plugins id (getId()) was different then the one named inside the jrebel.properties.

Missing my configuration tab… ;)

Thank you!

Colton Sablinsky

Hi Daniel,

I have been talking with the PM for the IDE plugins. We are at least going to update the plugin information to make it a little more clear on exactly how to add JRebel plugins through CLI, since it is a little rough to understand currently.

We are also going to consider adding a UI element to the IDE to allow users to import custom plugins via the IDE. We need to do more research on how widely custom plugins are used by our customers to determine how useful this kind of feature would be.

Colton

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.